November 3, 2018 /LGBT News/ Help to create a more trans-friendly workplace, by learning about trans people, the struggles they face and how to support them
Throughout history, life has not been easy for transgender people. And, although things may have improved, trans people still face discrimination and many challenges today.
This course is a great starting point for any individual or organisation looking to increase their awareness of trans identity. Ultimately, you’ll learn how to make your organisation more trans-inclusive. You’ll do this by understanding the legal rights and responsibilities around trans identity, and by better understanding trans people.
What topics will you cover?
- The core contexts of gender identity and trans awareness.
- An exploration of key terms and use of language.
- A basic understanding of legislation around rights and responsibilities surrounding trans identities.
- An introduction into how organisations can become trans-inclusive.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Describe the core contexts of gender identity and trans awareness
- Explain the key terms and use of language in a trans-positive environment
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the legislation around rights and responsibilities surrounding trans identities
- Discuss how organisations can become trans-inclusive through good practices
Who is the course for?
This course would suit any individual or organisation looking to increase their awareness of trans-identity, and to become more trans-inclusive.
Who will you learn with?
I write books about sex, gender, and relationships, and I'm a psychologist and psychotherapist who has studied bisexuality, non-monogamy, kink, and trans among other topics.
I am co-founder and CEO of Gendered Intelligence, a not-for-profit, trans-led organisation that seeks to increase understanding of gender diversity and improve the lives of trans people.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
To register, go to https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/understanding-gender-identity